Dr. George C. Shaw House 1 by Universal Pops on Flickr.
Thank you for your views and comments; they are very much appreciated.
[The Dr. George C. Shaw House set has 7 images] This 1921 brick bungalow in Oxford, North Carolina was the home of Dr. George C. Shaw (1863-?). He was born in Louisburg, North Carolina and educated at Lincoln University (Pennsylvania) and then obtained a doctorate in theology at Auburn Seminary (New York). He was the founding pastor of Timothy Darling Presbyterian Church (1888) in Oxford and established the Mary Potter School (or Academy) a year later, named for its benefactress Mrs. B. F. Potter of Schenectady, New York. It filled a void in the education of blacks in the area. Until 1936 it was the only high school for African-Americans in Granville County. In the early days of the school religion was a major course of study; but as the school grew, industrial arts and agriculture became important. Over many years several additions were made to the campus, but today only one classroom structure (the Industrial Arts Building) exists in addition to the residence of Dr. Shaw, which houses a museum. I’ve been by the museum several times but unfortunately have not found it open.
Thomas L. Hicks, an instructor at the school, along with students from the Academy built the house. This 2-story red brick bungalow is larger than it appears from a frontal view. It has steep cross gables with shingle roof which also covers the porch, which in itself consists of cross gables. The front façade shows shed dormer windows, 6/1 double sash and surrounded by wood shingles. There’s only one chimney which becomes incorporated into the porch. There are wide eaves with brackets with most being at the porch roofline. Most windows are 16/1 double sash except in dormers and the porch. The porch is spacious with the roof supported by large wood posts on blocks of brick, resembling double-shoulder chimneys. The posts are tapered towards the top with recessed panels on each of the fours sides. The angularity of the support provides a pleasurable visual tension, contrasting with the straight lines of the structure. The porch floor is brick but the steps are stone. The door is glass with 15 panes in 5 rows of three each; to either side are narrow 4/1 double sash windows. On the left is a porte-cochère (car-port), giving symmetry to the front façade, balancing the porch extension to the right. The Dr. George C. Shaw House was listed April 28, 1988 on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Oxford Historic District—reference #88000403